A Call to Assembly Reading Response Prompt
Before You Read
Read the excerpt from A Call to Assembly. Mark up the text in way you choose,
including the use of highlighters and metacognitive marking.
After You Read:
Please respond to all of the activities and questions below on your own paper.
- First Response. Write down your thoughts, feelings, opinions,
questions, or ideas after reading this excerpt. Be sure to formulate responses
that demonstrate a clear and specific understanding of this particular text.
Avoid generic comments such as: “ This is a good story.” or “This
really caught my eye.”
Levels of Questions
- Compose two(2) Level One (Right There) Questions and three(3)
Level Two (Think and Search) Questions about the text. Answer
your own questions and support your answers with specific evidence or quotations
from the text.
- Complete this Author and You Question: What would Willie
Ruff say about….? Now,
answer your own question.
- Write one or two Level Three (Global) Questions that are
inspired by this text. Write an essay response to your best Global Question.
- Create a color drawing, sketch, or collage that captures a moment, scene,
or symbolic representation of an idea of this piece. Be sure to write a description
of your visual and an explanation of how it represents your ideas.